Abandoned by U.S. in Syria, Kurds Find New Ally in U.S. Foe

Deutschland Nachrichten Nachrichten

Abandoned by U.S. in Syria, Kurds Find New Ally in U.S. Foe
Deutschland Neuesten Nachrichten,Deutschland Schlagzeilen
  • 📰 YahooNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 70 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 31%
  • Publisher: 59%

Amid the chaos that followed President Trump's order to withdraw from northern Syria, U.S. forces left behind dozens of 'high value' ISIS detainees

DOHUK, Iraq — Kurdish forces long allied with the United States in Syria announced a new deal Sunday with the government in Damascus, a sworn enemy of Washington that is backed by Russia, as Turkish troops moved deeper into their territory and President Donald Trump ordered the withdrawal of the U.S. military from northern Syria.For five years, U.S.

Turkish-backed forces advanced so quickly that they seized a key road, complicating the U.S. withdrawal, officials said. Since the Turkish incursion began Wednesday, ISIS has claimed responsibility for at least two attacks in Syria: one car bomb in the northern city of Qamishli and another on an international military base outside Hasaka, a regional capital farther to the south.

The fighting has raised concerns that jihadis detained in the battle to defeat ISIS could escape, facilitating the reconstitution of the Islamic State. Five captives escaped during a Turkish bombardment on a Kurdish-run prison in Qamishli on Friday, Kurdish officials said. Determining the exact state of play on the ground proved difficult Sunday, as the advances by Turkish-backed Arab fighters scattered Kurdish officials who had previously been able to provide information.

The Kurdish-led militia said the Syrian government had a “duty to protect the country’s borders and preserve Syrian sovereignty” and would deploy along the Syrian-Turkish border. On Sunday, Turkish troops and their Arab proxies made major progress on the ground, seizing the strategic border town of Tel Abyad and prompting celebrations across the border in Turkey.

“We will not stop,” said Abu Qasr al-Sharqiya, 34, who was shot three times in the leg. “We need our houses back, our children’s homes.”

Wir haben diese Nachrichten zusammengefasst, damit Sie sie schnell lesen können. Wenn Sie sich für die Nachrichten interessieren, können Sie den vollständigen Text hier lesen. Weiterlesen:

YahooNews /  🏆 380. in US

Deutschland Neuesten Nachrichten, Deutschland Schlagzeilen

Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.

U.S. to pull last troops from north Syria as Turkey presses offensive against KurdsU.S. to pull last troops from north Syria as Turkey presses offensive against KurdsThe United States is poised to withdraw some 1,000 troops from northern Syria, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said, after learning that Turkey planned to extend its military incursion against Kurdish militia further south
Weiterlesen »

Kurds march in Paris and Athens to protest Turkish incursion into SyriaKurds march in Paris and Athens to protest Turkish incursion into SyriaThousands of Kurds and their local supporters rallied in France and in Greece on...
Weiterlesen »

Kurds look to Syria for protection after U.S. pulloutKurds look to Syria for protection after U.S. pullout
Weiterlesen »

Kurds strike a deal with Putin and Assad in Syria: 'We had to choose between compromises and the genocide of our people'Kurds strike a deal with Putin and Assad in Syria: 'We had to choose between compromises and the genocide of our people'It comes as further criticism was heaped on President Donald Trump—his actions described as 'careless and callous' by former diplomat Brett McGurk.
Weiterlesen »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 20:41:01