Sleep Comfort survived Lebanon's 15-year civil war. But nothing could have prepared the high-end family furniture business for the Beirut port blast that destroyed swathes of the capital.
BEIRUT - Sleep Comfort survived Lebanon’s 15-year civil war. But nothing could have prepared the high-end family furniture business for the Beirut port blast that destroyed swathes of the capital.
The biggest blast in Beirut’s history killed at least 170 people, injured 6,000 and triggered protests against a political elite blamed for political turmoil and economic collapse. Homes and businesses were razed in the country’s commercial heart.The Aug. 4 explosion dealt a catastrophic blow to everyone from mechanics to major food importers, already struggling amid a financial crisis that hammered the currency and sent unemployment soaring.
“The government decided that anything in the port has to be analysed for ammonium nitrate residues ... Everything is at a standstill. There is nobody to answer us,” said Hani Bohsali, general manager of Bohsali Foods SAL and president of Lebanon’s food importers syndicate.He said the 52 companies in the Syndicate of Importers of Foodstuffs, Consumer Products and Drinks could suffer losses of no less than $50-60 million.
The government, which quit this week over the blast, had launched talks with the IMF for a bailout but they were put on hold due to an internal row over the scale of financial losses.Insurance firms have taken a hit. “Definitely, the government resignation will help, but the government is not enough. Lebanon needs a complete reform to recover.”
Deutschland Neuesten Nachrichten, Deutschland Schlagzeilen
Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.
Parliament speaker urges new Lebanese government after huge blast, U.S. envoy due in BeirutLebanon's parliament speaker called on Thursday for quickly forming a new government in the first legislative session since the catastrophic explosion that killed 172 people last week and pushed the cabinet to resign.
Weiterlesen »
A week after blast, Beirut pauses to remember the deadThousands of people march in Beirut as the city marks one week since the catastrophic explosion that killed at least 171 people, injured thousands and plunged Lebanon into a deeper political crisis.
Weiterlesen »
A week after blast, Beirut pauses to remember the deadThe shattered city of Beirut marked a week since the explosion that killed at least 171 people, injured thousands and plunged Lebanon into a deeper political crisis. Thousands marched, remembering those who died in the nation's most destructive blast.
Weiterlesen »
Children in Beirut suffer from trauma after deadly blastThe massive explosion in Beirut last week has left many children displaying symptoms of trauma.
Weiterlesen »
Change needed in Lebanon after Beirut blast, says German foreign ministerGermany's foreign minister said on Wednesday that Lebanon needed a government that can fight corruption and enact reforms as he toured Beirut port, scene of the devastating explosion that has triggered protests and led the government to resign.
Weiterlesen »