Lebanon questions security chief, minister quits over blast

Deutschland Nachrichten Nachrichten

Lebanon questions security chief, minister quits over blast
Deutschland Neuesten Nachrichten,Deutschland Schlagzeilen
  • 📰 AP
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 45 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 21%
  • Publisher: 51%

BREAKING: Lebanon’s Cabinet has resigned over the explosion last week in Beirut killed at least 160 people and wounded about 6,000, the country’s health minister says.

Earth moving equipment and rescue workers search for victims,Monday, Aug. 10, 2020, in Beirut, Lebanon, near the site of last week's explosion that hit the city's seaport.

The massive blast on Aug. 4 has brought a new wave of public outrage at the government and Lebanon’s long entrenched ruling class. Protests were planned outside the government headquarters to coincide with the Cabinet meeting after large demonstrations over the weekend that saw clashes with security forces firing tear gas at protesters.

Public Prosecutor Ghassan El Khoury began questioning Maj. Gen. Tony Saliba, the head of State Security, according to state-run National News Agency. It gave no further details, but other generals are scheduled to be questioned. Meanwhile, Justice Minister Marie-Claude Najm on Monday handed in her resignation, the third Cabinet minister to resign over the blast. She felt the brunt of protesters’ anger when she tried to visit a damaged neighborhood and was met by shouted insults, sprayed by water hoses and forced to leave.

Wir haben diese Nachrichten zusammengefasst, damit Sie sie schnell lesen können. Wenn Sie sich für die Nachrichten interessieren, können Sie den vollständigen Text hier lesen. Weiterlesen:

AP /  🏆 728. in US

Deutschland Neuesten Nachrichten, Deutschland Schlagzeilen

Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.

Lebanese protesters storm ministry buildings, TV shows, as Beirut blast protests growLebanese protesters storm ministry buildings, TV shows, as Beirut blast protests growLebanese protesters stormed government ministries in Beirut and trashed the offices of the Association of Lebanese Banks on Saturday, TV footage showed, as shots were fired in growing protests over this week's devastating explosion.
Weiterlesen »

Factbox: Countries rally round Lebanon after Beirut blastFactbox: Countries rally round Lebanon after Beirut blastCountries and international organizations are sending help to Lebanon after a massive explosion in Beirut killed at least 158 people and injured 6,000.
Weiterlesen »

Factbox: Countries rally round Lebanon after Beirut blastFactbox: Countries rally round Lebanon after Beirut blastCountries and international organisations are sending help to Lebanon after a massive explosion in Beirut killed at least 158 people and injured 6,000.
Weiterlesen »

Lebanon information minister resigns in wake of deadly Beirut blastLebanon information minister resigns in wake of deadly Beirut blastLebanon’s information minister has resigned as the country grapples with the aftermath of the explosion that ripped across Beirut and raised public anger to new levels.
Weiterlesen »

Lebanese call for an uprising after protests rock BeirutLebanese call for an uprising after protests rock BeirutSome Lebanese called on Sunday for a sustained uprising to topple their leaders amid public fury over this week's devastating explosion in Beirut, and the country's top Christian Maronite cleric said the cabinet should resign.
Weiterlesen »

Lebanon questions security chief over Beirut blast as pressure on government mountsLebanon questions security chief over Beirut blast as pressure on government mountsA Lebanese judge has begun questioning the heads of the country’s security agencies over last week’s devastating blast in Beirut.
Weiterlesen »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 08:00:54