Authorities have detained 16 Beirut port employees in the investigation into the explosion that killed more than 100 people and wounded thousands in the Lebanese capital, the country's state-run news agency says.
Notably, none of Lebanon’s top politicians have toured residential areas damaged by the blast, though President Michel Aoun and others did visit the port. Hours after Macron left Gemmayzeh, Justice Minister Marie-Claude Najm tried to visit, only to be driven out by protesters.
In one hospital, 4-month-old Sophie Ajoury, perhaps the smallest survivor of Tuedsay’s blast, was fighting for her life. She suffered head injuries while breastfeeding from her mother near a window with the shock wave hit. However, the international community has been reluctant in past years to offer support to the notoriously dysfunctional government.
The investigation into the blast is focusing on how the chemical stockpile came to be stored in the port’s Warehouse 12 and why it was never dealt with. Authorities have promised to issue results within days, and President Michel Aoun promised whoever was responsible would be punished. Daher told the AP that State Security, one of Lebanon’s main security agencies, had been investigating the stockpile over the past year. During that investigation, State Security sent reports to the Cabinet, state prosecutor and other state institutions about the danger of the material.
Deutschland Neuesten Nachrichten, Deutschland Schlagzeilen
Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.
AP PHOTOS: Beirut images show shattered, dust-covered cityThe aftermath of a massive explosion in the Lebanese capital of Beirut shows a shattered city covered in dust and debris. The blast sent a mushroom cloud into the sky, killed more than 100...
Weiterlesen »
Macron visits Lebanon as Beirut blast sparks grief and furyFrench President Emmanuel Macron's visit comes as residents of Beirut vented their fury at Lebanon's leaders, blaming them for the deadly explosion that ravaged the capital.
Weiterlesen »
'Revolution': Angry crowds in Beirut urge Macron to help bring changeFrench President Emmanuel Macron toured Beirut's shattered streets on Thursday, two days after a giant explosion, with crowds demanding the end to a 'regime' of politicians they blame for corruption and dragging Lebanon into disaster.
Weiterlesen »
U.S. State Dept says stands ready to offer assistance after Beirut blastThe U.S. State Department is closely following reports of an explosion in Beirut and stands ready to offer 'all possible assistance', a spokesperson for the agency said, as a massive blast ripped through the Lebanese capital on Tuesday, killing at least 10 people and injuring hundreds.
Weiterlesen »
Massive Explosions in Beirut Leave Dozens Dead and Thousands InjuredTwo massive explosions rocked Beirut, leaving dozens dead.
Weiterlesen »