Occidental Petroleum Corp on Monday posted a $8.35 billion second-quarter loss on lower energy prices and write-downs as the U.S. oil producer has been trying to reduce debt amid a pandemic that has sapped fuel demand and prices. Occidental, which borrowed heavily to finance last year's $38 billion purchase of rival Anadarko Petroleum, cut the value of its oil and gas properties by $6.6 billion, joining BP, Chevron and Total in massive write-downs as the industry now expects energy prices to stay low for years.
FILE PHOTO: The logo for Occidental Petroleum is displayed on a screen on the floor at the New York Stock Exchange in New York, U.S., April 30, 2019. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
Its oil and gas production will fall 13% this quarter over last, and another 5% in the fourth quarter, to 1.16 million barrels of oil and gas per day, the company said. In the Permian, where it became the largest operator through the Anadarko purchase, shale output will drop 37% this year, it said. The average price Occidental received for crude oil plummeted about 61% to $23.17 per barrel in the second quarter as oil prices crashed. It has cut jobs, slashed its dividend, reduced spending plans and sold assets to shore up its finances.Among the assets Occidental is trying to sell is a package of land and minerals in Wyoming and Colorado. The company has said that it hopes to close that sale in the fourth quarter.
Deutschland Neuesten Nachrichten, Deutschland Schlagzeilen
Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.
Oil giants' production cuts come to 1 million bpd as they post massive writedownsThe world's five largest oil companies collectively cut the value of their assets by nearly $50 billion in the second quarter, and slashed production rates as the coronavirus pandemic caused a drastic fall in fuel prices and demand.
Weiterlesen »
Temasek drops $3 billion bid for Keppel after conglomerate reports steep lossSingapore's Temasek Holdings is terminating its $3 billion conditional offer for conglomerate Keppel Corp by invoking a material adverse change (MAC) clause following the company's poor financial results.
Weiterlesen »
Temasek abandons $3 billion bid for Keppel after conglomerate's lossSingapore's Temasek Holdings is terminating its $3 billion conditional offer for conglomerate Keppel Corp by invoking a material adverse change (MAC) clause following the company's poor financial results.
Weiterlesen »
Marriott posts bigger-than-expected loss as virus hits bookingsMarriott posts a bigger-than-expected loss as the virus hits bookings.
Weiterlesen »
Marriott posts bigger-than-expected loss as virus hits bookingsU.S. hotel operator Marriott International posted a bigger-than-expected quarterly loss on Monday, as the coronavirus crisis curbed global travel and led to a plunge in room bookings.
Weiterlesen »
European stocks flat as tech losses offset China data optimismEuropean shares were largely flat on Monday as renewed U.S.-China tensions hit technology stocks, but a slowing decline in China's producer prices and rising oil prices limited losses.
Weiterlesen »