Two British militants believed to be part of an Islamic State group that beheaded hostages have been moved out of a detention center in Syria and are in American custody amid a Turkish incursion in the country's north, U.S. officials say.
October 9, 2019
WASHINGTON — Two British militants believed to be part of an Islamic State group that beheaded hostages and was known as “The Beatles” have been moved out of a detention center in Syria and are in American custody, U.S. officials said Wednesday. U.S. officials said the two were taken out of Syria by U.S. military and law enforcement personnel to ensure they did not escape if security broke down as a result of the Turkish incursion. So far they are the only two IS militants removed from Syria by the U.S., but officials say a number of others could also be moved if needed. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss military movements, would not say how many could be relocated or where the two British men were taken.
Trump told reporters at the White House that some of the “most dangerous” had been moved, but he provided no details. Although just the two have been relocated so far, but thousands of other Islamic State group detainees remain in custody and there are no immediate concerns the Kurds will completely abandon the facilities.The U.S. officials said that some Kurds left the prisons to join the fight but did not flee in large numbers.
In March, Kurdish and U.S. forces cleared the last members of the Islamic State group from what was left of their self-declared caliphate, which once sprawled across a large part of Iraq and Syria.
Deutschland Neuesten Nachrichten, Deutschland Schlagzeilen
Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.
Turkey attacks U.S.-backed fighters in Syria, forcing American troops to move'Unfortunately, Turkey has chosen to act unilaterally. As a result we have moved the U.S. forces in northern Syria out of the path of potential Turkish incursion to ensure their safety,' the Pentagon said.
Weiterlesen »
Turkey says it will begin its military offensive into Syria 'shortly'Turkey's military is set to cross into northern Syria 'shortly,' the Turkish communications director said, as part of an impending offensive to move US-backed Kurdish forces away from its border.
Weiterlesen »
Pompeo says U.S. did not give green light to Turkey's Syria incursionThe United States has not given Turkey a green light to invade Syria, U.S. Secre...
Weiterlesen »